J.D. Mesnard is a State Representative from Legislative District 17 (Chandler, Gilbert and Sun Lakes), having been elected to the Arizona House of Representatives on November 2, 2010. He has served on the Ways & Means, Elections and Judiciary Committees and as Chair of the Commerce Committee. He was also the Speaker Pro Tempore of the Arizona House of Representatives from 2013-2014.
Prior to running for office, J.D. spent eight years working at the Arizona Senate where he served as a policy advisor on issues ranging from education, transportation and retirement, to family services and government administration. One of J.D.’s proudest accomplishments during his employment at the Senate involved his role as Senate Coordinator for the "Legislators Back to School Program." Sponsored by the National Conference of State Legislatures, the intent of this program is to bring civics to life by connecting legislators with classrooms to give kids of all ages a chance to talk about their ideas with the state legislators who represent them. The program is designed to motivate students to engage in politics, and help build personal links between schools and legislators while providing legislators an opportunity to observe what is going on in classrooms. J.D.’s work ethic and passion for civic engagement were instrumental at helping to move Arizona to #1 on the national charts, in terms of legislative participation in the program.
J.D. is a Summa Cum Laude graduate of Arizona State University with a Bachelors degree in Music Composition. He also holds two masters degrees, one in Business and the other in Public Administration—exemplifying his interest in both the public and private sectors—and had the honor of being named The Outstanding Student of his MBA program. While in graduate school, J.D. caught the attention of a professor who was an Adjunct Scholar with the National Center for Policy Analysis (a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy think tank based in Texas and Washington D.C.), and was subsequently recruited to join with the professor and with Chief Economist and internationally renowned speaker Dr. Barry Asmus to be a spokesman for the NCPA. As such, J.D. traveled all over Arizona, speaking to numerous foundations, companies and Rotary/Lions/Kiwanis clubs regarding the issue of Social Security.
Born at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, FL (his father is a retired fighter pilot), J.D. has lived in Arizona for over 25 years. He has been teaching at Mesa Community College for over a decade and is also a small business owner (investing and consulting). J.D. has always sought to be an active participant at all levels of the community. In terms of his immediate surroundings, J.D. spent many years as a music team leader, and as a youth counselor and mentor at his local church. In addition, J.D.’s compassion for those less fortunate—who struggle in places outside of the greatest country on earth—led him to help establish Voices of the World, a non-profit Christian charity whose mission includes providing humanitarian aid to the poor and destitute of the world.
J.D. resides in Chandler with his wife, Holly, who is a registered nurse at Chandler Regional Hospital.
Click here for my information on my resume
J.D. Mesnard - Resume
Master of Public Administration, Keller Graduate School of Management
Master of Business Administration, University of Phoenix
GPA: 4.0, graduated The Outstanding Student of the MBA program
Bachelor of Music, Music Composition, Arizona State University
GPA: 3.84, graduated Summa Cum Laude, with Honors
CURRENT AND RECENT WORK EXPERIENCE
1/2011 - PRESENT
Arizona State House of Representatives
- Represent the people of Legislative District 17 (Chandler, Gilbert and Sun Lakes).
- Current Speaker Pro Tempore
- Serve on Legislative Committees: Commerce (past Chairman); Ways & Means.
- Develop legislation.
- Vote on proposed bills.
- Speak on various political issues.
- Elected to office November 2, 2010.
8/2006 - PRESENT
Mesa Community College
- Teach government courses, including:
- POS 100 “Intro to Political Science”
- POS 110 “American National Government”
- POS 115 “Issues in American Politics”
- POS 125 "Issues in World Politics"
- POS 130 “State and Local Government”
- POS 210 “Political Ideologies”
- POS 222 “U.S. Constitution”
- Devise curriculum for the course.
- Establish reading assignments and instructional materials.
- Design tests and quizzes to assess student achievement.
- Facilitate class discussion on numerous political and government-related issues.
- Host special guest speakers from the public sector such as state legislators and agency representatives.
- Consult with representatives of the CQ Press publishing company regarding textbook content criteria and preferences.
10/2005 - PRESENT
JPSB Dream Team, LLC
- Make various real estate and other investments.
- Own property in Arizona and Texas.
7/2008 - PRESENT
All Star Trans, LLC
Consultant; Chief Managing Officer
- Manage the company operations and finances.
- Oversee the general marketing strategies of the company.
- Brainstorm innovative ideas for company growth and development.
- Establish sales prices and policies.
- Manage online advertising.
- Field calls and online correspondence from potential clients and partners.
- Network with other transportation companies and businesses.
11/2002 - 12/2009
Arizona State Senate
- Advised the Senate President and Majority Members on legislative issues.
- Aided the legislative process:
Researched, analyzed, tracked and drafted bills and amendments. Met with State agencies, lobbyists, the Governor and their respective liaisons. Wrote speeches, press releases and newspaper op/ed articles. Addressed constituent concerns.
- Served as Senate Coordinator for the Legislators Back to School Event:
Improved Arizona’s nationally ranked participation rate from near the bottom to first place. Coordinate with legislators, schools and the Arizona Foundation for Legal Services and Education to arrange classroom visits. Travel to Denver, CO, Dallas, TX, Miami, FL, and Washington D.C. to meet with coordinators across the nation and give presentations to the National Conference of State Legislatures on Arizona’s success.
- Served as Senate Coordinator for the annual Indian Nations and Tribes Legislative Day.
- Accommodated the family and friends of US Armed Forces casualties when they are invited to the Senate for Session Memorials.
- Supervised the Majority Staff Interns.
PAST WORK EXPERIENCE
5/2002 - 11/2002
Arizona State Senate
Assistant to Senate Operations
- Assisted the Senate Operations Office.
- Compiled the Interim Committee Books:
Became familiar with the more than 100 interim committees that exist. Contacted numerous and varied State agencies and their Directors regarding appointments to these committees. Formulated Presidential appointment letters. Updated Interim Committee Inquiry program for legislative staff and public use.
- Compiled the Legislative Encyclopedia:
Edited legislative encyclopedia entries. Compiled entries into a legislative encyclopedia for use by Senate and House legislators and staff.
- Served as Senate Coordinator for the Legislators Back to School Event.
1/2002 - 5/2002
Arizona State Senate
Senate Education Committee Intern
- Testified before legislative committees and caucuses regarding legislation.
- Aided the legislative process:
Researched, analyzed, tracked and drafted bills and amendments. Composed and distributed fact sheets for Senators and staff. Conferred with State agencies, liaisons and bill sponsors regarding legislation.
- Conducted background checks on gubernatorial nominees to education-related boards and committees.
- Conducted research projects at the request of Senators.
- Addressed constituent concerns.
1998 - 2001
Papa John’s Pizza (7/2001 - 12/2001)
Domino’s Pizza (5/1998 - 7/2001)
Pizza Delivery Driver
- Located and delivered orders to residents.
- Processed customer orders.
- Conducted various in-store duties.
MDS Communications Corporation
Media Data Management Corporation
- Telephoned people across the nation to raise money for charities.
- Telephoned people across the nation about their magazine subscriptions.
City of Tempe
Neighborhood Assistant, Children’s Summer Program
- Helped Supervise 80 children.
- Planned numerous and varied children’s games and activities.
- Organized a neighborhood carnival.
1993 - PRESENT
- Pianist for Weddings and Funerals
- Piano Instruction
- Newspaper Delivery
- Film and Television work
- Wholesale Pet Supplier
COMMUNITY & VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
2002 - PRESENT
Political Activities Volunteer
Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, AZ
- Precinct Committeeman, Captain – LD21.
- Assist various campaigns at the city, state and federal levels: strategizing, signature gathering, research, sound bites, phone calling, door to door, sign posting, etc.
2006 - PRESENT
Homestead Park - Chandler, AZ
- Attend periodic meetings of the HOA board to discuss neighborhood issues.
- Monitor HOA income statements and balance sheets.
2006 - PRESENT
Project Citizen State Showcase Judge
- Critique political case presentations by middle school students.
- Evaluate case portfolios and boards for content related to public policy analysis and action plan.
2008 - PRESENT
Voices of the World
Director, Treasurer, Co-Founder
- Serve on the VOTW Board which oversees the purpose and goals of this 501(c)(3) non-profit organization:
The charity was established to provide humanitarian and Christian aid to the poor and destitute of the world in the form of such things as AIDS education, general education for orphans and the poor, computer training, music education, literacy, housing, food, and basic medical care.
- Coordinate with and support VOTW-sponsored missionaries around the world.
- Oversee charity donations and funds; promote fundraising.
- Help organize and equip volunteers of VOTW.
- Strategize for VOTW growth and opportunities.
National Center for Policy Analysis
Member, Team NCPA Arizona Advisory Board
- Deliver speeches to organizations all over Arizona about Social Security and Social Security Reform. Audiences include the following organizations:
Prostate Cancer Foundation, Carefree Cave Creek Rotary, Scottsdale Sunrise Rotary, Tempe Rotary, Camelback Young Republicans, Scottsdale Airpark Rotary, Mesa Rotary, Paradise Valley Rotary Club, East Valley Young Republicans, Mesa Host Lions Club, Pinnacle Peak Rotary, Kyrene Rotary Club, Gilbert Kiwanis, Fountain Hills Rotary Club, MFS Investment Management Company, Glendale Evening Lions Club, Mesa Chamber of Commerce, Sun Lakes Lions Club, Mesa Thunderbird Lions.
- Head of the Youth Council Board.
- Work with Junior High and High School students at church:
Responsibilities include teaching, counseling, mentoring, activity leader, and music team.
Church Music Team
- Lead Church Pianist.
- Music Team Leader:
Lead one of two music teams. Compile music list for church services. Lead congregation in singing church music. Arrange and/or compose original church songs.
World of Music
- Taught rhythm classes for children ages 6-12 in the community:
Established lesson plans, arranged a performance/recital for children.
1998 - 2001
1990 - 1998
ASU Latin Marimba Band; ASU Steel Drum Band
- Performed with the ASU Steel Drum Band all over Arizona.
- Performed with the ASU Latin Marimba Band all over Arizona.
- Traveled around Arizona to entertain residents at rest homes.
- Composer of numerous and varied music compositions:
Have written for solo, duet, ensembles and full orchestra, performed in Colorado, Ohio and all over Arizona.
- Wrote for film, Los Angeles, CA.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- The Outstanding Student for the University of Phoenix MBA program, 2006.
- President’s Four-Year Scholarship.
- Arizona State University Four-Year Academic Scholarship.
- Arizona State University Four-Year Music Scholarship.
- Mill Avenue Merchants Association Scholarship for Original Music Composition.
- Dean’s Honor List at Arizona State University (Fall/Spring 1998-2002).
- “Great Discussions,” 1999:
Invited to participate in a dinner and discussion of Plato’s Republic with esteemed members of the community as a representative of the ASU Barrett Honors College.
- Numerous certificates/tokens of appreciation related to the NCPA speeches.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Outlook; Internet Explorer; and the Arizona Legislative Information System.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced research and analytical skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the Legislature and legislative process.
- Extensive teaching experience on areas of religion, government and music.
- Piano and Music Composition.